Dave Aitchison Challenge Ride – Sat 24th March 2007
The Surrey Legs of Steel 2007 is a challenging cyclosportive in the Surrey Hills starting and finishing in Box Hill. The ride will take place on Saturday 24th March 2007, with riders rolling out between 8am and 9am. There will be two routes – 81k & 46k – with plenty of hills to stretch your legs on!
The short route at 46k is no easy option with 1020m of climbing – it’s just shorter! Riders taking the short route will experience five major climbs: Ranmore Hill, Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, White Down Hill (an 18% climb!) and finish with the ZigZag at Box Hill.
The long route at 81k has 1600m of climbing and will take riders up eight major climbs: Ranmore Hill, Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, Winterfold Hill (an awesome 21% climb!), St Martha’s Hill, Coombe Bottom Hill, Dunley Hill and again finishing with the ZigZag at Box Hill.
The event is held to commemorate Dave Aitchison, a rising star in British triathlon who died suddenly in January from an undetected heart defect. This season would have seen Dave moving up to middle distance events and racking up the winter mileage in the Surrey Hills, so we thought it fitting to design a route he would have enjoyed. Each rider in the event will receive a "Taking Dave with me" yellow & black wristband. All profits from the event and sales of wristbands to non-competitors will go towards a charitable trust to be set up in Dave's name, details of which are being developed with Dave's family.
- Route markers will be used to identify the routes;
- Electronic timing chips for every rider;
- Two drinks/feed stations on the long route, one drink/feed station on the shorter route;
- Broom wagon, mechanical support and first aid;
- Individual times available immediately at the event centre;
- The event is fully insured by British Cycling;
- Refreshments are available at the Box Hill National Trust Cafe at the start/finish;
- Toilets available at start/finish;
- All event information will be posted in the Event Info window in the right hand panel of this website, there will be no mail-outs;
- Entries are non-refundable or transferable.
Notes for participants:
- Riders are responsible for the roadworthiness of their own cycle;
- No accompanying vehicles are allowed to follow riders;
- Riders are strongly advised to wear a helmet;
- Riders are advised to carry a form of identification, mobile phone, spare inner tubes and working pump, as well as extra clothing to cope with possible adverse weather conditions;
- The use of tri-bars is discouraged. Where riders have these fitted they are not to be used when riding in a group;
- All riders are expected to respect the rules of the public highways and act responsibly to promote the good image of cyclists.
|Saturday 24th March 2007
|Between 8am and 9am (registration opens at 7.15am)
|Box Hill, National Trust Park, Surrey
|81k and 46k
|Online registration Now Open – click here
If you would like to volunteer at this event, please contact: [email protected]